Sunday, November 13, 2005

Today at Church

At the end of each service at Gateway, one of the pastors make an altar call. They ask if anyone wants Jesus. Many times, I pray and ask God to open hearts and cause someone to break down, and raise their hand or go to the front. I used to do that often. Today at church, a man was sitting next to me. We glanced at each other several times during the service, when we both agreed on a point that the pastor made. Today the message was on giving thanks. The Pastor preached from Psalm 100:4 about how we can enter into His gates by simply saying Thank you, and from Luke 17 about the ten lepers.

After the message, we were getting ready to take part in Communion. The lights dimmed. People started giving thanks, and praying to the Lord. It was quiet, and then in the back of the church a man started saying, in a voice full of emotion, Thank you Father. The man kept repeating that phrase, as his voice started breaking. Then he started sobbing, Thank you Father. To me, that set off a spark, and others, listening to his heartfelt thanks to the Lord, started praying and offering their thanks. The man who was sitting next to me, well, he started breaking down. He started tearing up (I could tell by the tissue he was holding, rather than tears or sobs). After we took part in the bread, Pastor Brian then asked if anyone wanted Jesus. His eyes swept the congregation once, and then, on the second request someone on the other side raised their hand. Then to my surprise, the man next to me raised his hand, as he broke into sobs. As he wept I placed a hand on his shoulder, and after we took part in the cup, I gave him a hug.

His name was William, and he has been going through a lot. Problems with his job, and most of all with a relationship he has, and the person who he loves, is now at a distance. It was incredible to see someone who is broken come to church, and then to accept Jesus as their Savior. I kept telling him that it was no accident that he came and sat down next to me. I hope and pray that I can help him with his walk with the Lord. Please keep William in your prayers, pray for his loved ones, his relationships, his employment, and most of all, his walk with the Lord.

1 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Dr. Blog...God is good...all the time!

Keep up the good work as you walk daily with our Lord and king.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home